When it comes to decorated ice cream sandwiches there’s really no need to reinvent the wheel. You could spend hours baking and making, but there’s really no reason to do that. This method is by far the easiest way to make ice cream cookie sandwiches and you’ll never make them the old way ever again!
Decorated Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches Are So Easy To Make
An ice cream cookie sandwich (or chipwich as many like to refer to the yummy treat) is always a good idea. Such a delicious dessert idea that is a real crowd pleaser. Many will spend time making the perfect cookie to then sandwich with ice cream in between, but I’m here to tell you that there is an easier way. The cookies, particularly the M&M or chocolate chip cookies, sold in the grocery store bakery are the perfect cookies for making an ice cream sandwich. Perfect texture, perfect flavor, perfect thickness… just perfect!
Don’t miss out on any of the other fun kids craft ideas on the Seeing Dandy Blog!
Decorated Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
So easy to make and fun!
Serving Size: 1 Ice cream sandwich
Number of Servings: 8
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 Minutes
Additional Time: 20-30 minutes
What you’ll need to make these easy ice cream cookie sandwiches:
- Half gallon of your favorite vanilla ice cream
- 16 store-bought MnM’s cookies from the store bakery (Told you. No need to bake your own!)
- Various toppings
Toppings in this recipe:
- Mini chocolate chips
- Sliced almonds
- Shredded coconut
Additional ice cream cookie sandwich topping ideas:
- Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles cereal (Colorful and fun, but also seem to be popular on donuts!)
- White chocolate chips
- Crushed graham crackers with mini marshmallows (Think s’mores!)
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- Crushed Oreos
- Cookie dough candy pieces (Usually sold in those movie theater sized candy boxes.)
- Reeses Pieces
- Crushed peanut butter cups
- Sour Patch Kids
- Fruit Loops cereal
- Macadamia nuts
- Swedish Fish
- Dried fruits: Raisins, cranberries, cherries, etc.
Soooo many delicious options!
What you’ll do to make these easy ice cream cookie sandwiches:
These are fun for the kids to help make and decorate. Perhaps have an ice cream cookie sandwich making party… So fun!
Step 1: Put all your toppings out into individual bowls.
Step 2: Turn a cookie upside-down and put a scoop of ice cream onto it.
Step 2: Top with another cookie and press gently to secure into place on the scoop of ice cream.
Step 4: Using a knife (or an icing spatula) you’ll want to smooth out the ice cream all the way around the cookie sandwich. This will help the toppings to stick better.
Step 5: Roll the cookie sandwiches in whatever toppings you choose.
TIP: If a particular topping doesn’t seem to want to stick, simply use your fingers to press the toppings into the top layer of ice cream.
Step 6: Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper and then line up the finished sandwiches on the cookie sheet.
Step 7: You’ll want to then place in freezer for about 10-20 minutes to harden before serving.
Step 8: Have leftovers or want to serve at a later date? You can store in the freezer simply by wrapping a square piece of parchment paper around each ice cream cookie sandwich. Place several cookies in a freezer bag.
Additional details about making (and serving/eating) ice cream cookie sandwiches
These ice cream cookie sandwiches will store for a few weeks in the freezer so there’s no need to eat them all at once. When ready to eat just remove from the freezer and place on a plate. After of few minutes of being at room temperature the cookies will be perfect for eating. If you don’t give it a few minutes then the cookies will be too hard from being so frozen.
OTHER TIPS AND TRICKS
- If you place the M&M cookies in the freezer for about an hour before building the cookie sandwich then the ice cream won’t melt as fast.
- Get creative with your toppings and make different styles of sandwiches with extra layers!
- If you need to take a break from making the sandwiches you can always part way put them in the freezer to then come back to.
Now that’s a delicious looking chipwich!
Like this easy dessert?
Get more easy dessert ideas on the blog HERE.