The school parties are finished!!! It has been one very long week. As promised, here’s the ornament craft that I taught my daughter’s second grade how to make at their school holiday party today. This DIY bird nest Christmas tree ornament is actually something that is near and dear to my heart so sharing the treasure with the next generation was quite special.
DIY Bird Nest Christmas Tree Ornament German Legend
When I was a child my grandparents gave me a beautiful bird nest ornament. They gave me many ornaments over the years and I still have all of them. My ornaments now reside each year on our tree. This particular bird nest ornament has a German legend written out on a card attached to it. It’s a treasure that I love displaying on our tree and tell the story to my children.
Don’t miss any of the other DIY ideas and free printables on Seeing Dandy!
How To Make The Bird Nest Ornament
What you’ll need for this Christmas tree ornament craft:
- craft bird’s nest (I used these HERE.)
- mini craft eggs (I used these HERE.)
- craft birds (I used these HERE.)
- thin ribbon
- glue (craft or hot glue)
What you’ll do to make this Christmas tree ornament craft:
- Use hot glue to attach eggs inside the nest.
- Cut ribbon and glue on both side of the outer edge of nest to create the hanger.
- Attach bird to ribbon or next. If you use these birds then you can just clip the bird onto the ribbon like I did. Otherwise you can glue a bird directly to the nest or ribbon.
Free Printable German Christmas Tree Legend
Here’s the German Christmas tree legend on a printable that’s perfect for affixing to the ornament for hanging on your tree or when giving as a gift.
According to an old German legend, if you find a bird nest in the tree that you harvest for Christmas you will have an entire year of health and happiness.
Print PDF HERE.
I hope you enjoy this Christmas tree ornament craft as much as I do.
Check out the other DIY ideas on the blog HERE.