How does some gluten free coconut macaroon cherry bombs sound? Mmmm. These treats are also perfect for the patriotic holidays, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, because they are red, white and blue! Chuck full of coconut goodness and I love me some coconut desserts. Basically any coconut flavored baked good is my weakness. Until I was diagnosed with celiac disease that is. For the longest time after the diagnosis I thought that baked goods were to be feared. No more baked goods and no more coconut. Or so I thought. Fortunately I was wrong. There are so many baked goods recipes that can be gluten free! Like these gluten free coconut macaroon cherry bombs that are oh so yummy.
Gluten Free Coconut Macaroon Cherry Bombs
The perfect coconut dessert for people who have celiac disease!
3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour mix
6 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup Wilton Royal blue chocolate melts
1 jar maraschino cherries – drained and patted dry
DIRECTIONS FOR THE GLUTEN FREE COCONUT MACAROONS 4TH OF JULY RECIPE
Coconut desserts are perfect for all summer long!
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and coconut. Stir until well mixed.
3. Add both extracts and stir again until well blended.
4. Add the sweetened condensed milk and with a rubber spatula, mix well to incorporate.
5. Drop 2 inch rounded, heaping spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
6. Spray the bottom of a drinking glass with non stick spray and use it to flatten the cookies ever so slightly.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden in color and the coconut is lightly toasted.
8. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
9. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
10. In a double boiler (or using this nifty candy melting pot), melt the blue chocolate candies by stirring until completely melted.
11. Pour the melted chocolate into a shallow dish and dip the bottom of each cookie into the mixture. Place on the cookie sheet to allow the chocolate to harden.
12. Using your index finger, gently press down into the center of each cookie. Dab a small amount of melted chocolate onto the bottom of each cherry and place into the hallowed center.
Coconut desserts are my favorite.
Have celiac disease and need some other gluten free recipes? You’ll actually find some great ones on the blog HERE.
Click below to get all the dandy in your inbox!