When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease I thought of it as a death sentence. I know that sounds a little over the top and even harsh. But that’s how I felt. Can’t change how you feel in that moment. One of my favorite foods is Italian. I’m not Italian at all in heritage but the flavors of the food is just dandy in my opinion. I’ve always loved eggplant parmigiana. What was I going to do now? Eggplant parmigiana is BREADED. That’s a huge no-no for a celiac. Was there even such a thing as gluten free eggplant parmigiana? I didn’t think on it too much at the time because I had a few other things on my mind. Just getting through the diagnosis in general and living my life.
Easy To Make Gluten Free Eggplant Parmigiana
Since I’ve had time to adjust to the idea, I’ve found that it’s actually quite easy to turn my favorite recipes into gluten free!
Gluten Free Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
What you’ll need:
- Pasta sauce (I used Ragu Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce)
- 1 eggplant
- 2 eggs
- cooking oil
- frying pan
- mozzarella cheese
- gluten free flour mix (I added a little salt and pepper to my flour mix)
- Slice the eggplant to the thickness desired. A thicker slice will need to cook longer.
- Then dip the slices of eggplant into beat egg and coat in flour.
- Fry both sides of the eggplant for 2 minutes on each side.
- Put eggplant slices on a piece of paper towel on top of a plate. This helps to collect the extra grease.
- Stack the slices with some NEW Ragu Homestyle pasta sauce in between each layer and then add some mozzarella cheese on top. You can broil in the oven if you prefer a more melted cheese.
Dinner is served!
More than just gluten free eggplant parmigiana…
Are you looking for more gluten free recipes? Check out my others HERE.
Click below to get all the dandy in your inbox!