Do you know someone (kiddo or adult) who really likes ladybugs? Need a fun birthday party idea for that person? Look no further than a ladybug themed birthday party. And I have the PERFECT dessert for you to serve with this ladybug birthday party cupcakes recipe! I’ve been seeing some really dandy summer birthday party ideas everywhere and this one takes the cake. Literally. Or at least takes the cupcake. *wink*
Ladybug Themed Birthday With Ladybug Birthday Party Cupcakes
If you check out my Pinterest boards you’ll see lots of dandy birthday party ideas but none of them compare to this cupcake one.
If you must know that I’m a fan of themed birthday parties. It’s a HUGE guilty pleasure of mine. I like to attend ’em. I like to plan ’em. I like to host ’em. See? A total guilty pleasure. I might even have a few Pinterest boards dedicated to the cause.
I credit this slight obsession to my mom. She’s so very creative and always made sure that our birthdays were extra special. As a child I had lots of different party themes. Teddy Bear Party. Camping Party. Summer Party. Clown Party. There’s honestly too many to count or possibly remember without the help of a photo album. It was a magical time in life. Carefree. Fun. Birthday celebrating at its finest. For my own kids I’ve done the Cowboy Party, the Teddy Bear Party, the Carnival Party, the Owl Party, the Frozen Party… Even the Monkey Party. (That one was all planned and did not actually happen because our oldest got incredibly ill just in time for this 2nd birthday.) In all my birthday attending, planning, and hosting I’ve never witnessed a Ladybug Birthday Party before.
The ladybug birthday party theme is also a very dandy party idea for the summer. These ladybug cupcakes will make any ladybug party (summer gathering or birthday party) that much more dandy. Below you will find the totally from scratch recipe for ladybug cupcakes.
Ladybug Birthday Party Cupcakes Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 eggs, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
DIRECTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease cupcake pan or place cupcake liners in pan.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and cream with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until well incorporated.
5. Stir in the vanilla extract and set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
7. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredient mixture to the creamed butter and mix until just combined (do not over-mix).
8. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk and mix until combined.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8.
10. Fill each cupcake liner until 3/4 full.
11. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
18. Let cool in pan for five minutes.
19. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to complete the cooling process.
20. Frost with icing when completely cooled.
INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN ‘GRASS’ ICING
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T vanilla extract
2 T cold milk
Green food gel
DIRECTIONS FOR GREEN “GRASS” ICING
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter.
2. With an electric mixer on low, add half of the sugar until well blended.
3. Add the rest of the sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
4. Add food green gel until you reach your desired color of dark green grass.
5. NOTE: to thin icing, add 1 T milk and to thicken icing, add 1 T powdered sugar.
HOW TO MAKE ‘GRASS’ ICING ON CUPCAKES
1. Fill 3/4 decorating bag with green icing and attach a Wilton #233 tip.
2. Hold the decorating bag straight up and squeeze to create a glass blade.
3. Immediately after squeezing pull up and away when the icing strand is about 1/2 inch. Stop squeezing and pull tip away.
4. Be sure to keep the strands together so none of the cupcake shows through.
5. NOTE: for a more natural grass look, you can pull the tip slightly to the left or right.
6. Visit Wilton’s website HERE for a video tutorial, if needed.
- Strawberry candies
- Junior Mint candies
- Mini tube of black icing
Enjoy this easy to make ladybug birthday party cupcakes recipe!
Click below to get all the dandy in your inbox!