Over the weekend it snowed here in the Lou. Kind of hard to believe but this was actually the first snow of the season! Winter here has been really mild. Like days in the 60’s and 70’s. Highly unusually for the Midwest for sure. But I guess we will take it. The dandy kids were super excited to see the snow! Not very much accumulated so no sled riding ensued. Maybe next time. We still celebrated the snow. I say you can always still celebrate even what little you get! The perfect way to celebrate a snow day? A snow treat by making these adorable snowmen rice krispies treats. Very similar to these snowman treats but different.
White Chocolate Snowmen Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Don’t miss any of the other delicious recipes on Seeing Dandy!
Snowmen Rice Krispies Treats
This recipe will yield 6 large Snowmen Rice Krispies Treats from a 9 x 9 pan.
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1. Spray a 9 x 9 pan with Pam and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. And the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula (spray with Pam ), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely.
INGREDIENTS FOR SNOWMEN
Prepared pan of Rice Krispies (from recipe above)
2 T solid shortening
3/4 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
Large White Chocolate Bar – grated (Ghirardelli) OR you can use 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Black write-on gel
Orange write-on gel
Mini chocolate chips
12 Sprees candies
2 black licorice wheels
6 Airhead candies – large size
PREP DIRECTIONS FOR WHITE CHOCOLATE SNOWMEN
1. With a knife, cut 6 long rectangular snowman pieces from your prepared pan of Rice Krispies. Set aside.
2. With a cheese grater, grate the large white chocolate bar into small pieces and set aside.
3. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
4. In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt the shortening for 40 seconds.
5. Add the white chocolate melts to the shortening and stir until completely melted.
6. Coat each Rice Krispies piece with the melted white chocolate and lay on the wax paper lined baking sheet. Set aside any remaining melted white chocolate for use later.
7. Sprinkle the grated white chocolate on top of each Rice Krispies piece. Let “set” for 20 minutes.
8. Cut each Airhead candy piece in half lengthwise and attach to make one long piece for the scarf. I just overlapped them a bit and pressed down hard to make one long piece.
9. With a scissors, cut six 2 inch pieces from the licorice wheels. Set aside.
10. Count out 12 pieces of Sprees candies for the ear muffs.
ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS FOR WHITE CHOCOLATE SNOWMEN
1. Re-microwave the remaining white chocolate melts from step 6 in 10 second intervals until melted again.
2. Dip one side of each spree candy piece into the melted chocolate and apply to the side of each snowman head. (2 of the same color sprees for each snowman). Hold in place for 10 seconds.
3. Dip the ends of each licorice piece into the melted chocolate and apply on top of the head. Push the ends between each candy spree and the Rice Krispie. Hold for 20 seconds while the melted white chocolate “glues” the ear muffs to the snowmen.
4. Take each Airhead “scarf” and wrap around each snowman about midway down.
5. With the black write-on gel, pipe the eyes and 3 buttons onto each snowman.
6. With the orange write-on gel, pipe the nose into each snowman.
7. For the mouth, gently press 3-4 mini chocolate chips into each snowman to resemble coal.
Enjoy this snow treat!
Be sure to check out the other delicious recipes on the blog HERE.